Friday 23 January 2015

My English Language Learning Journey

I started to learn English in primary school.At the time, English did not seem so important to me, it was just another subject where I needed to remember some words and simple phrases to get an A. Due to my good memory, achieving good results for English at that point of time was easy.

However, things changed after I came to Singapore. English became the fundamental language for everything. When the twenty six letters flowed in and out of my ear without making any sense, I knew I was doomed. English became a nightmare for me, along with every other subject that was taught in English, all of which I did terribly bad in. The real study started after school; I put almost all my time towards learning the English language, every word in the textbook would be translated into something that was not so alien to me. Crazy English Li Ling became my best friend and the BBC was my lullaby every night. My command of the English language eventually improved over time, but my positive and motivated learning attitude did not last long after I realized I could pass my examination, as English was still not important to me; a perspective I now regret.

The English language became much more important as my education progressed. Good speaking and writing skills will always give you an edge over those without them. Therefore, I hope I will greatly improve my english language skills after the course.


246 words


5 comments:

  1. Hi Yuxi,

    I guess we are all in the same boat. :)! Keep on fighting!

    With regards,
    Jie Rui Ngoh
    B(eng) Environmental Engineering, Year 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will have great improvement in your English language! Don't give up and press on

    yanjing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey YuXi

    As the saying goes, "You reap what you sow." Don;t give up, and one day you'll see how much improvement you have made in English since day 1!

    All the best in everything you do!

    Chee Hou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi YuXi,

    It is always better to be late than never, I believe that by the end of his course you would already have been proficient in the craft of writing a model essay. Maybe we both have to touch up with our grammar. But with hard work I think we can do this.

    Zhengguang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Yuxi, for this honest and self-critical look at your English language journey. It's concise, quite comprehensive, and concrete in the examples. The problem, clearly, is in the repeated grammar errors. The good news for you is that the errors types are few: fragments, run on sentences, subject-verb disagreement and tense errors. If you review the basic conventions and pay attention to the details when you edit your own work, you can throw this nasty monkey off your back. But you must be committed to opening your eyes, your brain and, most importantly, your heart. If you REALLY WANT THIS, you can do. If you are in this class just to pass the time and not to do the work, you may have to repeat.

    Let's start here:

    1) Run on sentences & fragment: PLEASE SEE THIS WEBSITE: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/598/02/

    --- English language did not seem so important to me,it just another subjects that I need to remember some letters and simple words to get an A. Due to my good memory.

    --- I put almost all my time in English, every words in the textbook was being translated into something that was not so alien to me, Crazy English Li Ling became my best friend and BBC was my lullaby every night.

    --- When the twenty-six letter flow in and out of my ear and without making any sense. I knew I was doomed.

    --- But the positive attitude never last long, it dead out when I realized I could pass my examination. Because English was not seem to be an important tools to me, which I regret it, like mad.

    2) had being change / it dead out > verb form problems

    3) My English Language eventually improve over time. > verb tense error

    4) English language seem much more important when the education progress... > (subject verb disagreement)

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete