Friday 17 April 2015

Critical reflection

Critical reflection on peer review system

Thought out the course of ES1102, one of the most memorable experience that I had was the   peers review system that we had in the class. In the first lesson, Mr. Blackstone separated the class into different blog groups. Every assignment that we did and posted on the blog will be review and comment by the group members. At the start of the course I didnt really feel comfortable with the system. I didnt want my work, which can poor, to be viewed only by the teacher, not by other students. However my point of view to the system had change as the time passed by. The peer review system, in my opinion, is just excellent.

The peer review system allowed us to get different opinion from different people. There were mistake that we didnt even notice at the beginning that were corrected by my peers. I feel that I have a great improvement by learning from the comments made by the teacher and students. On the next assignment, I tried my best to avoid all those mistakes that I made before. Also,  I could feel the fulfillment when I knew the comments that I made on other people blogs were being read and led to an improvement on other people’s assignment and English language. All these led to an extraordinary improvement in my proficiency in the English language. I started  to like this wonderful system. Moreover, this system was not only good because it made students improve through other peoples’ comments. It also provided a great platform for the students and teacher to build a strong bond between them. It was a more efficient way for us to make new friends and know each other through the process of commenting and replying. Hence, I think this was a great system both academically and in building social relationships.

However, I think that there are still some limitations, despite them not showing in my own personal experience. For example, if all the blog group members are not so good in their Englishstandard, the comments that provide may not be so useful for the writer who did the assignment. Moreover, the comments given by the students may not be as effective and detailed compare to the comment given by the teacher. I feel this may cause a waste of man power. Also,that students may not like the system because they may feel uncomfortable in receiving bad comments. Some may also feel uncomfortable providing comments due to their low confidence in the English proficiency. As most of us are enrolled into the class because our English standard was not up to standard, students may not trust the comments given to their assignment by another students or even be hesitant to leave a comment on other people’s blog. Hence, it would not have much help for students with this kind of mindset. However, I think this will only happen at the beginning of the course as the situation slowly improved over the course of the semester.

In all, I think that the peer review system is a great system. This can be a kind of system that we can bring forward in our future experiences. It is not only workable in a class or school  setting, but can also be adopted in situations outside of our student lifeAs such, it can be adopt by the companies outside the school. It would not only generate ideas and identify mistakes within the party, it can also build up a strong relationship between strangers in a  short period of time. All these are essential for improvement in performance and a more effective way of working. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much, YuXi, for this highly comprehensive reflection. You clearly contextualize peer feedback within the ES1102 course, and then in detail you explain how you went through the process, which parts were the most beneficial and which were problematic, and what you were able to take away. I'm especially impressed when you state that "I could feel the fulfillment when I knew the comments that I made on other people blogs were being read and led to an improvement on other people’s assignment and English language. All these led to an extraordinary improvement in my proficiency in the English language."

    That is certainly one key for making progress. Another facet is being able to view development as a social endeavor. You capture that when you state, "It also provided a great platform for the students and teacher to build a strong bond between them. It was a more efficient way for us to make new friends and know each other through the process of commenting and replying. Hence, I think this was a great system both academically and in building social relationships."

    Thank you for embracing the culture of giving and receiving in ES1102 and for putting in a superior effort! This will certainly pay dividends to you in your overall learning and writing in specific. I wish you the very best as you continue your learning journey.

    ReplyDelete